More than 500 years ago, village healers in Latina America, known as curanderos, found the secret to healing illness spiritually and physically. Curanderos practice a holistic form of healing that combines prayer, herbal remedy, ritual, spiritualism, and massage. These days, the magic of the curanderos has been passed down from generation to generation and the practices remain nearly the same.
At the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, the Lantana Spa holds admiration for the healing powers of the curanderos that have graced San Antonio and the surrounding Hill Country. The Lantana Spa pays homage to these curanderos with services that honor their holistic practices in the services and rituals offered.
One ritual practiced by curanderos is the Seven Knots Ritual to release worries and stress from the ill. The Lantana Spa holds this ritual at the spa for guests, empowering them to release their worries and stress before their services and leave their worries behind.
In 2021, The Lantana Spa will have a 21 Knots Ritual in honor of releasing the stress from 2020 and bringing good intention into the new year. The ritual historically involves tying seven knots into a red ribbon, one for each worry, the seventh knot completing a circle. Tying the knot releases that specific concern, enabling the person to leave it behind. Before the guest enters the spa they will be given their ribbon at check-in to complete the ritual on their own and embark on their spiritual journey.
Whether a guest has 21 worries or seven, they can expect to start fresh in 2021 with relaxing services at The Lantana Spa and a therapeutic knot ceremony inspired by curanderos.
The spa also offers directions for performing the ritual at home if guests don’t yet feel comfortable traveling. This simple yet beneficial practice can be done easily:
- Red ribbon, string or cord measuring 9 to 12 inches long. The red ribbon is required as it symbolizes strength, health, vigor, energy, passion, courage, element of fire, career goals, fast action, vibrancy, driving force and survival.
- A quiet place to concentrate.
- A moment to slow down and release stress
How to Perform the Ritual:
- Tie the first knot at one end while you focus on your first concern. Take a moment.
- Tie the second through the 21st knots – each one focusing on a different worry.
- Tie the seventh knot to create a circle of ribbon.
- When tying each knot, concentrate on one specific concern, visualize a best outcome and let go of the concern.
When the ceremony is complete, all worries can be left behind and a fresh journey can begin. By sharing this practice, the resort hopes everyone can start fresh in 2021.
To find out more about JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, please contact 210-276-2500 or visit www.jwsanantonio.com.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.