In a recent conversation with SALON TODAY, Richard Calcasola, of New York’s Maximus Salon and Spa, revealed one of his business mistakes. Several years ago he had instituted a Teen Tuesdays program where teenaged clients were offered a 50-percent discount on haircuts. “Tuesday was a slow day for us, and we’d give these clients to our junior stylists who were just going onto the floor,” he says.
A while back, Calcasola disbanded the program. One day around Spring Break time he looked around the floor and thought, “We used to be packed this time of year with college students, where are they?”
By stopping the teen program, Calcasola had stopped recruiting future clientele. “I realized I had made a big mistake. We quickly put the program back in place,” he says.
Secure your future market with some of these teen-tapping ideas:
- Offer services for a teen makeover competition in conjunction with high school newspapers/websites.
- Develop a specialized prom menu of updo services and makeup application.
- Run a pre-Spring Break promotion on sunless tanning services and products.
- Integrate teen services into your menu or develop a separate menu of offerings. Consider acne-treating facials, specialized hair extensions, and specialized hair color and placement.
- Scrutinize your product offerings—do your lines offer products and price points that appeal to teens?
- Host an education night on a teen topic and invite all the daughters and sons of your current clientele.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.