Recently launched in August, Be Infinite is an Oakland, CA-based non-profit cosmetology apprenticeship program developed for marginalized communities utilizing trauma informed teaching and inclusive curriculum. The mission of Be Infinite is to create a lasting impact for participants who will ultimately work in the professional beauty and hair industry. The plan is to ensure these professionals are paid an appropriate wage with benefits during educational training while investing in one-on-one trauma informed mentorship.
The launch of Be Infinite generated media attention across many local outlets including ABC News, KTVU, Kron 4, and spoke to people interested in the beauty industry who want to be part of our apprenticeship program.
Support Allows Others to Be Infinite
On Giving Tuesday and every day, Be Infinite is focused on fundraising. First year budget expenses are based on the salary and benefits for two participants as well as overhead for facility usage (rent, utilities, and products used for services) and salary for a mentor/trainer. Fundraising targets are 20% in-kind and corporate sponsorships, with the remaining 80% consisting of individual and company donations.
The initial duration of the project, according to Be Infinite, is two years, the full life cycle of a cosmetology apprentice project to full licensure. At the one year mark, additional cycles and growth may be implemented based on the success of fundraising and continued support. Be Infinite's inclusive curriculum teaches beyond the industry standard and prepares participants for professional and personal growth.
Founder & Program Director
Vee Vargas (she/her/ella) is the creator and founder of Be Here, a luxury hair salon. Having attended Riverside Community College and Vidal Sassoon for her foundational education, Vee now has over 12 years in the industry with an established clientele. In addition to her work running Be Here, Vee mentors survivors of sex trafficking through a trauma informed lens and volunteers with the Enneagram Prison Project. Vee’s vision of long term success includes providing and furthering opportunities for others within the intersectionality of her communities to heal, flourish, and thrive.
For more information on how to participate in the program or sponsor please visit beherewithvee.com/beinfinite
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.
Originally posted on Modern Salon