Clippings Hair Design
Alta Loma, CA
Owner: Deanna Norrdin
Date of Opening: February 2013
Overall Style: contemporary, inviting, warm
Square Footage: 1,875
Total Design Investment: $156, 031
Number of Styling Stations: 12
Number of Spa Treatment Rooms: 1
Salon/Spa Equipment Lines Used: shampoo bowls by The Pavilion, styling chairs by Winbex Industrial Inc., dryer by Paragon
Furniture Lines Used: Leslie McGwire & Associates
Retail Lines Carried: Eufora, Unite
Color Lines Used: Carmer, NAYO, Coloringreen
Design Firm: Leslie McGwire & Associates
Architectural Design: The Alliance Group
MORE FROM THE SALON OWNER:
1. List your three favorite features of your salon/spa design and explain why.
"1) I love the retail area with its beautifully lit shelves; it makes it appealing for our guests to shop.
2) I love our reception area; it’s warm and glitzy with our shimmering bead wall and our refreshment bar for our guests to enjoy. Our organized front desk and state of the art salon software enable us to check our guests in and out with ease.
3) Our shampoo area is also a favorite feature. It is secluded and quiet so our guests can completely relax while enjoying a five-minute scalp massage. After guests leave this area they are so relaxed they say they could just lie down and go to sleep!"
2. What was the biggest challenge about this salon design, and how did you overcome it?
"One of the biggest challenges in planning was having enough styling stations to be sure we could cover our costs and also plan for future growth. We overcame this by building twelve stations. Eight stations are for our full time stylists; these are freestanding stations with a booth on each side. The remaining four stations were placed up against a wall. These stations have double cabinets to accommodate the sharing of stations with part time stylists so we can house up to sixteen stylists."
3. Who is your target market and how did you design this salon to attract that market?
"Our target market is the middle to upper class professional, earning an average income of $84,377. They have families and are very active in the community. We specialize in taking care of the entire family! Our vision was to design a salon that is contemporary but also warm and inviting so every guest feels welcome and comfortable."
4. Which specific elements of your salon design were planned to enhance productivity and profitability?
"Our retail area was designed to be comfortable and inviting while making it easy for our guests to shop, with the help of our specially trained stylists. It also provides our stylists with an ideal environment to properly educate our guests about our products and recommend individual hair care solutions for them. This retail area has definitely increased our productivity and profitability. The Clippings Team is committed to delivering first class service to our guests, so our shampoo area design was certainly vital in achieving that goal. We designed this secluded room that is comfortable, quiet and relaxing. It allows us to give every guest a relaxing scalp massage. This enables our team to wow our guests with exceptional service; it adds valued and keeps them coming back for more, while naturally increasing our productivity and profitability."
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.