Every month for the MODERN RESEARCH section, we are now providing the salon community with little bits of fun and inspiring information and quotes. See how many of these you know!
If you would like to submit a "Beauty Bit" contact Editor Lauren Salapatek at email@example.com. Thanks!
Did you know…
1. “Beauty creates a wealth of JOB OPPORTUNITIES. At any given time, there are approximately 1.2 MILLION WORKING STYLISTS. And the total number employed by the salon industry is estimated around 2.5 MILLION PEOPLE.” —Choose Beauty, Guide to Career and Business Opportunities in Professional Beauty
2. “WAXING is the gentlest form of HAIR REMOVAL because the warm wax softens skin and follicles so hair can be removed from the base/bulb. REPEATED WAXING actually reduces the amount of hair that grows back, and after awhile, follicles stop producing hair altogether.” —Malynda Vigliotti (aka Boom Boom), Boom Boom Brow Bar in NYC.
3. “73% of women say their wedding is the BIGGEST HAIR MOMENT in their life.” —Joico
4. “When EYELASH EXTENSIONS are applied properly, they do not have the opportunity to cause damage to the natural eyelashes. In fact, they GROW, REST and SHED right along with the natural eyelash to which they were applied, so there is NO DAMAGE to neighboring eyelashes.” —NovaLash Eyelash Extensions Seminar Skills Manual
5. “Have your CURLY CLIENTS be mindful of not SUFFOCATING THEIR HAIR with a handbag. Many long-haired women accidently TRAP THEIR CURLS beneath the straps of their shoulder bags. When they realize this, they unconsciously yank the trapped hair out from beneath the strap, RIPPING and FRACTURING their curls. Doing this a few times every day or for weeks will cause one side of the hair to appear weak and stringy.” —Curly Girl The Handbook, by Lorraine Massey with Michele Bender
6. “American actress PAULA KENT started REDKEN with $3,000 and three products!” —Redken
7. “The POWER OF REFERRALS is enormous. In fact, a personal recommendation is 50 times more believable than a TV, print or radio ad.” —Eric Fisher’s business series, Prosper U.
8. “BASE ADJUSTING is an excellent technique to use prior to or in-between HIGHLIGHTING SERVICES. It lightens and diffuses the contrast between natural hair and highlighted hair.” —Great Lengths, A Comprehensive Guide
9. “Hair that’s dry with good ELASTICITY will stretch about one-fifth of its length. The same hair when wet can stretch up to 50 percent. Hair with good elasticity and INTEGRITY will accept color predictably. Poor elasticity and integrity accepts color unpredictably.” —Matrix Craft Education, Hair Structure and Hair Color Chemistry