So you’ve managed to snag a few teen clients as regulars in the salon. Now how do you get them to start spending on more than just a haircut and highlights? Try these tips and see your retail profits soar.
• If you have a substantial teen clientele, stock a line just for them. Companies like TIGI offer products in vivid colors with sassy monikers that are sure to get a teen’s attention.
• Use the power of peer pressure. Do you have young, hip stylists working in your salon? Get them to talk up the products they use to your teen clients.
• Give samples. Whether they stick them in their locker for a daytime fix or keep them in a teeny tiny clutch, you’ll get your teen clients addicted to a new product with samples.
• Run a “friends” special. Get your teen clients to bring in a friend and give them a free styling product. You’ll get a new client and the teen will have a new must-use product.
• Create a retail area just for them. Throw a few teen-friendly magazines on a table near your “just for teens” product section. Include skin and hair care products and section them out according to type (oily hair, dry hair, combination skin, etc.).
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.