Serious Business and the International Salon and Spa Expo kicked off the 2010 professional beauty show scene, but this Spring it accelerates with Chicago’s America’s Beauty Show from March 27-29 (americasbeautyshow.com); the International SalonSpa Business Network in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, May 2-4 (salonspanetwork.org); SalonSpa Vision in Austin, Texas, May 16-17 (salonspavision.com); and the Premiere Orlando International Beauty Event in Orlando from June 5-7 (premiereorlandoshow.biz). To get the most out of show season, consider this:
- To decide which shows you will attend this year, peruse each show’s website and evaluate what it has to offer you and your staff members. Which classes rank high on your list? What exhibitors do you want to connect with this year? Once you’ve made a decision, pre-purchase tickets to minimize time standing in line.
- To get the best rates, book airfare and hotel rooms early. Investigate if the show offers a special hotel block rate.
- Determine who on your staff will attend the show and give each one an assignment. Ask them to record the Who, What, Why and How on a specific class or stage presentation. Encourage them to bring back three trends or ideas that are relevant to your salon.
- Pack stylish clothes, comfortable shoes and a good-sized duffle bag. Take a digital camera so you can capture visuals of inspirational hair and make-up.
- At the show, grab a map and chart your course. Avoid unnecessary backtracking by knowing where you want to go next.
- At your next staff meeting, ask each staff member who attended the show to give a verbal report. If they learned a new technique, invite them to give a demonstration or lead a class.