- Hire Smarter. Review your budget and hire a mature, professional and qualified front desk person. Stop giving high school students their first job!
- Fire Faster. Review your new front desk individual after 15, 30 and 45 days. Look for excellence and effort on learning the systems, being confident with clients, and cool and calm with service providers.
- Team Synergy Systems. Implement mandatory systems that link the service provider team to the front desk. Prebooking and retail are top on the list. The service providers should be writing down their recommendations to make "the close" at the front desk seamless, effortless and fully supporting of the service provider's repeat business of the client.
- Celebrate. At each team meeting, spend a few minutes to celebrate the front desk team's monthly accomplishments. Announce the goals they have achieved and the additional money they were able to bring in for the service providers.
- Respect. Respect is earned, but leaders have to set the front desk team up for success. I love when salon owners have implemented a one week (or more) internship at the front desk before a new stylist can receive a chair on the floor.
- Leadership Support. The salon owner or coach should continually guide the two teams to see each other as equally needing each other.
Kristi Valenzuela is the founder of Crystal Focus Salon Coaching; a salon coaching company specializing in teaching âpeople skills for profitability." Their latest product launched, The Front Desk Doctor Training System, promises to turn receptionists into extremely effective sales professionals by teaching real-life sales systems specifically designed for the salon industry. Go to crystalfocus.com or thefrontdeskdoctor.com or email Kristi at email@example.com