What Teens Want
So you’ve managed to snag a few teen clients as regulars in the salon. Now how do you get them to start spending on more than just a haircut and highlights? Try these tips and see your retail profits soar.
• If you have a substantial teen clientele, stock a line just for them. Companies like TIGI offer products in vivid colors with sassy monikers that are sure to get a teen’s attention.
• Use the power of peer pressure. Do you have young, hip stylists working in your salon? Get them to talk up the products they use to your teen clients.
• Give samples. Whether they stick them in their locker for a daytime fix or keep them in a teeny tiny clutch, you’ll get your teen clients addicted to a new product with samples.
• Run a “friends” special. Get your teen clients to bring in a friend and give them a free styling product. You’ll get a new client and the teen will have a new must-use product.
• Create a retail area just for them. Throw a few teen-friendly magazines on a table near your “just for teens” product section. Include skin and hair care products and section them out according to type (oily hair, dry hair, combination skin, etc.).