Your salon always contributes to the community, but maybe you’re ready to breathe new life into your philanthropic efforts. Here are 10 ideas to try in 2008:
- Partner up with your manufacturer. M.C. Hair Consultants in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, partnered with Wella and the American Heart Association last year to transform 60 women into redheads to signify the power of red. Also on hand was a team of nurses to provide blood pressure screenings.
- Switch it up. Change your charity every month. Pick 12 charities that interest your staff and contribute to a different one each month.
- Use your website. Want to get clients involved in your charity of choice? Send them to your site. Chances are, they’re already there to book appointments or research services. Add a button so they can donate to your favorite charity.
- Donate services/products. Tired of making a monetary donation? Find a charity that could use a “day at the spa” or a basket of products for their annual raffle.
- Motivate your staff. Do your stylists seem ho-hum about the prospect of another cut-a-thon? Try something different this year: Let them wear jeans every Friday for a month in return for a donation. Or encourage them to wear pink during Breast Cancer Awareness month to raise awareness among clients.
- Strut your stuff. Partner with local boutiques and create a fashion show to raise funds. Or find one already in existence and offer your services. You’ll be donating your time and talent, and the community will see what your salon has to offer.
- Create a team. Do you have certain stylists who take a more active interest in philanthropy? Appoint them to your charity team and have them research new ideas.
- Charity evening. Designate a night where clients can receive discounted services with a purchase of one product. A portion of the product sales goes to your favorite charity.
- Make it personal. Clients, stylists and community members will be more likely to support your charity if you have a reason behind giving. Did you have a client who suffered from breast cancer? A homeless shelter in the same neighborhood as your salon? Support charities that hit close to home.
- Vote on it. Get your team excited about the charity you choose by allowing them to submit their favorite charities and then take a vote on it. Pick the top three and contribute to them for the year.
Originally posted on Salon Today.