Men's groomer Patti Davenport, who nabbed American Crew's highest achievement for its educators, offers five tips for gaining guys.
1. Request referrals. “Ask your female clients who they know, by saying ‘We have a new specialist on the team who is well versed in men’s grooming and we’d love to offer her some clientele.’ Offer her a reward for her recommendation.
2. Hit the pavement. “Visit colleges, health clubs and local shops, introduce yourself and bring cards offering some sort of incentive. Be sure to discount product and not your services: Offer a 15 percent savings on product with a haircut, for example.”
3. Ask friends. “Get your spouse, male coworkers and friends into the salon. Let these haircuts work as billboards for you.”
4. Use social media. “Advertise specials to your followers: Call in now for a complementary upgrade to your haircut. Offering a hot towel or scalp brush at the bowl doesn’t take much time and works well for stylists looking to build clientele.”
5. Continually educate yourself. “Get good training under your belt, bring in models to build your confidence and, then, begin advertising that you specialize in men’s grooming. You can raise your prices when you advertise how much education you have or how in demand you are; these are the two ways you get promoted in this industry.”
Click here to read more advice from Davenport.
Originally posted on Modern Salon