Joico is inviting college students across America to celebrate the iconic ponytail and demonstrate their school spirit in their Ponytail Challenge. Competitiors should create a pony, don some school spirit (a university t-shirt or sweatshirt for example,) snap a photo and upload the pic to Joico’s Facebook page.
This contest will choose 200 winnters, selected in a random drawing to receive Joico's new Power Spray. 1 in 10 will receive 10 travel-size Power Sprays to either use on your clients or share with friends. The Grand Prize winner gets a $200 gift certificate, plus an assortment of Joico products including a one year supply of full-size Power Spray. They are also awarded COACH and Juicy Couture accessories, John Paul Gaultier fragrance and an assortment of Nars cosmetics and nail products. A total retail value of over $1,100!
The ponytail is truly a simple, timeless, no-brainer look that has become the little black dress of hair. It’s a classic wardrobe staple, whether you’re dashing to class or dressing up for the winter dance. “It’s utterly appropriate 24/7,” says Joico International Creative Director Damien Carney. “It’s the one hair style that’s as at home on the treadmill as it is on the red carpet.”
For inspiration, the team at Joico has identified the five most prominent ponytail styles, and invites Ponytail University Challenge participants to identify their individual pony personalities:
1. The Classic Ponytail: This perfect pony avoids extremes; it’s the ideal, midline mane that messages appropriateness in every setting. Going with this safe-and-stylish look might be an option for you if you favor fashions like a wear-with-everything black skirts; a fine white blouse; patent-leather bag; Jack Rogers sandals and plenty of Burberry,
and you identify with celebs like Reese Witherspoon; plus all the Kates (Middleton; Holmes and Winslet).
2. The Top Ponytail. Bundle your locks atop the head fior a flirty, fun, playful disposition.
3. The Low Ponytail: There’s something decidedly glam about gathering strands at the nape of the neck. Go about it in a slicked-back, streamlined way, and the look will look rich and understated. Switch up the low pony to something loose and a little messy, and you’ve suddenly got sexy back. Celebrity icons? Jennifer Aniston, Gwyneth Paltrow, Blake Lively and Zoe Saldana.
4. The High Ponytail: Often worn with a stylish bump, this youthful pony messages “fresh and fun” without trying too hard. That’s because the high placement gives a playful lift, but also works in an elegant setting. Victoria Beckham, Kelly Ripa, Maria Menounos and Lucy Liu are the celebs on your radar.
5. The Side Ponytail. Side starts with an “s.” So does seductive, sexy, stylish, and sensuous…all of which describe the gal who wears her coif daringly off-kilter. This style takes the universal ponytail—with strands either sleek and smooth, or gently curled—and turns it into something entirely new and interesting. Take inspiration from celebrity icons like Angelina Jolie; Eva Mendes; Beyoncé; and Penelope Cruz.
The Ponytail University Challenge kicks off October 17, 2012 and runs until November 15th. Winners will be notified by e-mail. Entrants can submit individual or group photos, wearing university logo-wear and showing off great ponytails!
All college students attending a college or university in the U.S., as well as recent grads, and graduate students are eligible and encouraged to enter. Visit www.joico.com/Ponytail for more information.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.