• Major players in the chair/suite rental category include Sola, Salon Plaza, Salon Lofts, Solera, Phoenix, Salons by TJ, Salon Concepts etc.
• Sales at Regis continued their decline. In 2014, the company may shed its high-end salons in order to concentrate on its value brands.
• Great Clips and Sport Clips both experienced high 8.8% and 13% growth, respectively, as family-economy chains flourished.
• Sales of styling products increased by 4%, in part due to the increase in home hairstyling, made easier by new genres of styling tools.
• Sales of specialty products continued to grow at nearly 5%, as oils like Argan, Sea Buckthorn Berry, Macadamia and Mythic grew rapidly for all types of hair.
• Sales of shampoos and conditioners grew at low single-digits, mainly due to back-bar use after hair color and smoothing treatments, and via salon-retail for color protection and new genres of scalp treatment products.
• Mega salon-store Ulta grew by more than 20%, primarily due to salon products sold at deep discounts combined with special offers.
• Sales of Wella, Aveda and Bumble + bumble grew via direct sales.
• Redken and John Paul Mitchell Systems were the only major companies showing growth. Wella’s exclusive sales grew, while open-line sales declined. Sexy Hair, Pravana and Keune showed double-digit growth.
The New 2013 study features new graphs and charts to make data easily understandable. Market shares are detailed for every company, with L’Oréal Professional, P&G Professionals and John Paul Mitchell Systems, respectively, ranked as the top three manufacturers. Shiseido (Joico and Zotos), Estee Lauder (Aveda and Bumble + bumble), Colomer/Revlon (American Crew, Abba, Roux, UniqueONE, multicultural division and others) and KAO (Goldwell/KMS California) follow.
NEW sections feature an analysis of barbershops by state and percentage of the United States; upcoming ingredient issues; leading manufacturers’ reps; plus other company sales, including AG Hair, Aloxxi, Alterna, Bio Ionic, Brazilian Blowout, Cadiveau, Coppolla, Davines, Framesi, GK Hair, Kenra Professional, Keratin Complex, Keune Haircosmetics USA, Marcia Teixeira, Phyto, Pravana and more. For purchasing information/questions, contact Bulsara at email@example.com or visit www.ProConsultants.us