When it comes to supporting local sports teams, salon owners Jim Powell, Pat Lottes and Linda Eickleberry are raving fans. With seats directly behind the bench at the WNBA (Women's National Basketball Association) Indiana Fever games, the owners of Natural Concepts Salon and Day Spa in Greenwood, Indiana, have developed relationships that have led to some unique marketing opportunities.
- In a publicity event, staff members offered complimentary chair massages to fans before a game.
- During another game, a team of stylists did a complete makeover on two season ticketholders during the game. "Each one received a cut, color and makeup application, and we presented their new looks to the audience at the end of the 3rd quarter," says Jim.
- Three times last year, there were T-shirt tosses at the game. Provided by the salon, the T-shirts featured both the salon and Fever logos. Within some of 50 that were tossed at each game, the salon hid gift certificates.
- At one game, a row of fans won hair care products compliments of the salon.
- The Fever's MVP Tamika Catchings, founder of Catch the Stars, a foundation that motivates at-risk youth to achieve their dreams, brought a number of her girls to the salon for a spa day.
- A sports bar area in the salon decorated with local team memorabilia has inspired many clients to attend Fever games.