· Understand right from day one that you have a wide mix of people in your employ. From the outset your business will be rife with differences of opinion and conflicting agenda. Understanding this is the very essence of what makes a team work.
· Accept that you are the glue that will bring together these differences and that only you can mould people into a team through strong, visionary leadership.
· Don’t expect to have all the answers or that success will come easily. Have the courage to begin, to risk, to challenge the status quo and if/when you fail, have the courage to get up and try again, and again and again.
· Recognise that everyone on the team has something to contribute.
· Try to be objective (most of the time). Take ownership of your own weaknesses and those of your business rather than look to blame someone else for their problems and their shortcomings.
Ultimately, the first step to growing your team is accepting that every team needs a strong leader, and you are the leader. So my challenge to you is… start now on becoming the leader you need to be.
About Antony Whitaker: Antony Whitaker is the ultimate educator and motivator, with a worldwide reputation based on more than 30 years’ experience in the hairdressing industry. An award-winning stylist-turned-educator, business coach and best-selling author, he has taken his message on management, money, marketing, team-building and retailing to more than 250,000 hairdressers in 40-plus countries. His latest book, GROW 3: TEAM, the next instalment in his GROW series, has just been published and is available online at www.growmysalonbusiness.com You can also sign up for his regular free newsletter packed full of tips, hints and lessons on how to run a successful, profitable business. Follow Antony on www.facebook.com/growmysalonbusiness and www.twitter.com/antonywhitaker