Kaite Lyn Christoffersen strikes a pose on her selfie station in the reception area of her Cheeky Strut Salon in Grand Rapids, Michigan. (photo credit: Alessandra Myers)Photo By Alessandra Myers
Think selfies are a passing fad? Well, consider some of these fun facts about selfies, and you might start thinking about how leveraging this behavior might boost your own beauty business:
- According to Phandroid.com, approximately 93 million selfies are taken every day.
- People have taken self-portraits since the 1880s, when camera shutters with self-timers were first available. This increased in 1900 with the debut of the portable Kodak Brownie box.
- The Oxford English Dictionary crowned ‘selfie’ the word of the year in 2013.
- Time magazine included the word selfie in its “top 10 buzzwords” of 2012.
- According to a study in five cities, women in Sao Paulo, Brazil pose in selfies more expressively--with head tilts that average 16.9 degrees versus only 7.6 degrees in New York.
- It’s not just a girl thing. Fifty percent of men and 52% of women have taken a selfie, according to Stylecaster.com.
- According to Techinfographics, women may take selfies more than men, but men over 30 share more selfies than women over 30.
- According to Samsung, selfies represent 30% of all photos taken by people ages 18-24.
- Do you touch up your selfies? Fourteen percent of selfies are digitally enhanced—34% of men say they retouch every selfie, while only 13% of women retouch every selfie. (stylecaster.com)